Before your wedding I will arrange for the Notice of Intended Marriage Form to be lodged, which needs to be completed no less than one month prior to your wedding and is valid for 18 months.  Both partners are also required to sign a Declaration stating there is no legal obstruction to your marriage, 2 weeks prior to your wedding ceremony.



On the day of your wedding, after you have exchanged your vows you will both sign your presentation wedding certifcate, marriage register and a copy of your offical marriage certificate.  I will send to Births Deaths & Marriages one copy of the marriage certificate within 7 days after your ceremony, the marriage register book is kept by me.  Two people over the age of 18 must be present to witness your marriage and sign the Marriage Register and certificates.


Documents required when lodging your Notice of Intended Marriage Form.

  • Original Birth Certificate (You must also show your drivers licence as photo proof of ID)
  • Australian Passport
  • Overseas Passport (if you are a citzen of a country other than Australia)
  • A Decreee Absolute (if you are divorced)
  • Death Certificate (if you are widowed)
  • All documents in a foreign language must be translated into English by an approved translator.  You can find a translator here; 
  • If you were born overseas and your documentation has been lost or destroyed you can make a Statutory Declaration, I can help you with this
  • If one person is under 18 you will require a court order and parents consent (under no circumstances may two people under 18 years of age marry each other)  
  • Foreigners marrying in Australia - Australian residents can bring a partner to Australia on a Fiance' Visa. You are required to lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage form with an authorised Marriage Celebrant within the minimum one month and one day time frame.  The celebrant will issue you with a letter addressed to the appropriate Australian Embassy handling your case confirming that they have recieved your Notice of Intended Marriage form and that you have paid a non-refundable deposit.  Your partner lodges this letter with their application at the embassy in the country from where they are applying.
  • Important advice about migration - Australia's immigration laws offer visas to foreign people who are in realtionships with Australian residents.  However, the rules are very complex.  Marriage does not automatically gaurantee that your visa application will be approved.  You should seek leal advice about your personal circumstances.  Only a lawyer with immigration experience is qualified to give you the correct advice.



2011 Tie The Knot Celebrant                                                                                                                      



Website by Magicdust